Embarking on any kind of health and wellness challenge is exciting but it’s also completely normal for it to feel a little bit daunting at the start. To ensure you get the most out of the experience, it’s important to go into it with a clear idea on exactly what you want to achieve. Everyone’s goals will look different – which is one of the most incredible parts of fitness – so if you’re set to take on the Amplify Challenge, here are 5 tips on how to set a goal that will help you hold yourself accountable. SMART goals are the easiest way to break them down.
- Specific: Detail Your Intentions
Instead of setting a vague goal like “I want to get fit”, zoom in on specifics. What exactly do you wish to achieve? For instance, “I want to be able to do the entire footwork series on 6 springs” or “I want to be able to maintain Hundreds Level 2 for the whole exercise”.
- Measurable: Quantify Your Progress
Quantify your goals to track progress. If you’re aiming for strength, you could set a goal like “I will increase the number of springs I use in the footwork series from 4 to 5 by the end of the challenge.” If flexibility is your target, you might aim to attend 1 x Stretch Class every week for the duration of the challenge.
- Achievable: Keep It Real
While it’s great to challenge yourself and reach for the stars, ensure your goals are within reach given your current fitness level, time constraints, and other commitments. Starting with “I will attend four Pilates sessions a week” is more achievable than aiming for seven sessions a week right off the bat.
- Relevant: Align With Your Bigger Picture
Your Pilates challenge should align with your broader life goals. If you’re aiming for stress relief, incorporate mindfulness practices during your sessions. If weight loss is your target, complement your Pilates routine with appropriate dietary changes.
- Time-bound: Set Milestones
Six weeks might sound like a short span, but it can feel endless without interim milestones. Break down your main goal into weekly or bi-weekly mini-goals. For instance, if your objective is to master a complex exercise, focus on perfecting its foundational postures in the initial weeks.
Bonus Tips for Staying on Track
- Journal Your Journey: Refer to your Amplify Wellness Guide and utilise your trackers. Document your sessions, note the exercises done, how you felt during and after, and any progress made.
- Visualise Success: Before every session, close your eyes and visualise completing the exercises gracefully. This mental rehearsal can boost your performance.
- Stay Accountable: Partner up with a friend or share your goals with someone you trust. This external accountability can motivate you on days when your internal drive wavers.
- Celebrate Small Wins: Reached a mini-goal? Celebrate with something you love, like a massage or a healthy treat.
So if you’re really looking to get the most out of your next health and wellness challenge, start with setting some SMART goals, which can make the difference between a successful and an aimless 6-weeks. By focusing on specificity, measurability, achievability, relevance, and time, you’re charting a clear, motivating path for yourself. So, roll out that mat, set those SMART goals, and let the transformation begin!