This is a delicious and hearty soup with the added protein contained in the cannellini beans and sunflower seeds.
- 500g frozen peas, thawed
- 2 x 400g cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Place 350g of the peas and the cannellini beans, garlic and stock in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat, simmering for 10 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the remaining peas and return to the stove, bringing to the boil again. Cook for 3 minutes until the peas are soft.
- Place the basil, sunflower seeds, lemon rind and juice in a medium bowl and mix well to combine.
- Transfer soup to serving bowls. Top each bowl with a spoonful of the fresh basil and sunflower mixture. Serve warm.
Serves / 4