Calories Per Serve: 281
Time To Prepare: 20-30 minutes
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large grated carrot
- 2 sticks sliced celery
- 250 g lean mince (beef, chicken, game meat are all great)
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400 g tomato puree
- 400 g cooked red kidney or adzuki beans, drained
- 125 g cherry tomato, halved
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- 1 lime
- Chopped red chilli to taste
- Sauté the onion carrot and celery for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the spices and mince and cook through for 5 minutes until the mince is browned.
- Add the capsicum, tomato paste, tomato puree and beans.
- Pour over 2 cups of water. Simmer over a low medium heat for 30 minutes until thick.
- Season with ground pepper and a little salt add cherry tomato.
- Fold in spinach and coriander just before serving.
- Spoon into bowls, top with chilli to taste, avocado and a squeeze of lime.
- Enjoy by itself or with a side of steamed green vegetables, brown rice or quinoa.
Recipe adapted from Teresa Cutter The Healthy Chef
Stuff the Chilli Con Carne into lettuce cups for something a little different.
Vegetarians can use extra beans and lentils in place of the meat. Chopped Tempeh is also a great addition in place of the beef.
Nutrition Per Serve:
Protein: 23 g