Our top ten tips for healthy supermarket shopping:
- Write out a meal plan at the beginning of the week
- Plan on cooking leftovers, which you can then use for lunches or a weekend dinner
- Prior to going to the store, make an exact list of what you need and stick to it!
- Never shop hungry.
- Don’t overbuy – simply buy the quantity you need
- Try to buy local, fresh, or organic ingredients when possible.
- Buy plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and keep them on hand so that when you want a late night snack, you have something healthy to reach for.
- Stock up on frozen fruit and vegetables, especially when they are out of season.
- Stay away from canned goods, as often they contain a high amount of sodium. Canned beans and legumes are fine, just make sure to wash them before cooking (to get rid of any sugar or sodium)
- Avoid the middle aisles, with the ‘junk food’
If you have it in your cupboard – you’ll eat it! By shopping healthily, you ensure you eat healthily.