Nutrition Fact: This pasta salad is bursting with delicious, anti-inflammatory Mediterranean ingredients! Enjoy it for lunch or dinner or prepare it as a side dish.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
- 500 grams whole grain pasta GF option: buckwheat, chickpea or GF labelled pasta
- 2 small-medium chicken breasts
- 250 gram punnet cherry tomatoes
- 4 handfuls baby spinach or rocket
- 20 sliced black kalamata olives
- 450 gram can rinsed chickpeas optional
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or crumbled feta DF option: vegan cheese
- 1 cup packed fresh basil including stalks
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 handful rocket leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook pasta according to packet instructions. Bring a second saucepan of water to the boil, add chicken and reduce to a simmer. Poach chicken for approx. 12 minutes or until cooked through. Poach in chicken stock for added flavour. When cooked, remove from poaching liquid and allow to cool before shredding.
- Meanwhile, prepare pesto if you are making your own. Toast the pine nuts in the oven or in a frypan (keep a close watch as they brown quickly). Add all other pesto ingredients to a blender with half of the olive oil and start to blend. Slowing add remaining olive oil as you blend down to a smooth sauce.
- Chop tomatoes and olives, and drain and rinse chickpeas. To assemble pasta, pour pesto over pasta and toss to coat evenly in the sauce.
- Add the tomatoes, rocket, olives, chickpeas (if using), parmesan and shredded, cooked chicken. Toss again and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil (if desired) and serve!
This recipe was developed for Studio Pilates by Kristin Murray from Lifestyle Nutrition. Kristin is a Brisbane based nutritionist who is passionate about providing education in the science behind nutrition and healthy eating. Through Lifestyle Nutrition, Kristin creates and provides recipes that are achievable in the fast-paced world we live in and she hopes to inspire you to find your own sustainable healthy routine!