Polenta is a great gluten free alternative to some of the more common grains used to make porridge, such as oats. Polenta is easily available at all Coles and Woolworths in the health food isle. You can also buy polenta at any Health Food store in your local area. If possible, we recommend buying an organic version.
Calories Per Serve: 446 (1 serve)
Time To Prepare: 30 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely minced lemon zest
- 1/4 cup honey or agave or maple syrup or brown rice syrup
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 15 pitted prunes
- 10 dried apricots cut in half
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup polenta (organic if possible)
- 4 cups lightly salted water
- Combine the orange juice, lemon juice, zest, cinnamon and honey in a medium sized saucepan and stir. Bring to a simmer on high heat and add prunes and apricots.
- Turn the heat to lowest level. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes. Don’t let prunes get too soggy. While prunes are simmering start cooking polenta by bringing lightly salted water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Slowly add polenta to boiling water, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring to make sure it doesn’t get lumpy. If it starts to get too thick add a little more hot water. You want it soft.
- Remove fruit from sauce with a slotted spoon to a shallow bowl and turn the heat to high. Reduce the liquid to about half. Return fruit to the sauce, add walnuts, and serve over bowl of polenta.
Recipe adapted from Teresa Cutter The Healthy Chef
Nutritional Information Per Serve:
Protein: 7.13 g