|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 250 grams beetroot (cooked and peeled)
- 3 large, free range eggs
- 3 tbsp macadamia nut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts (chopped)
- 400 ml coconut milk (for the frosting)
- 2 tbsp raw cacoa powder (for the frosting)
- 1 tbsp macadamia nut butter (for the frosting)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (for the frosting)
- 8-10 whole macadamia nuts (for the frosting)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- In a blender or food processor, puree cooked and cooled beetroot with macadamia nut oil and maple syrup.
- In a mixing bowl whisk eggs really well. Pour in beetroot batter and combine.
- Add cacao powder, coconut flour, vanilla and baking powder and combine well.
- Fold through macadamia nuts.
- Spoon batter into a greased cupcake tray. Bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting. Take coconut milk out of fridge. Do not shake! Scoop out the coconut cream solids that have risen to the top. (Keep the liquid for another use, such as smoothies.)
- In a medium mixing bowl use electric beaters to whip coconut cream solids with maple syrup until thickened.
- Stir through macadamia nut butter and cacao powder. Combine well. Transfer to fridge for 20-30 minutes to thicken.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, spoon frosting into a piping bag and ice cupcakes (or spread with a knife). Top with a macadamia nut on each.
- Store in refrigerator.
About the Author - Casey-Lee Lyons
Casey-Lee is a naturopath, nutritionist, recipe developer and founder of Live Love Nourish. She is passionate about inspiring health and happiness through easy-to-understand nutritional and lifestyle advice. Casey-Lee’s refreshing approach to gluten, dairy and sugar-free nutrition has helped many people improve their health, increase energy, find their natural weight, improve gut and digestive health, balance hormones, heal cravings and more.
You can follow her on Facebook - @livelovenourish & Instagram - @livelovenourishaus.