If you’re getting sick of tuna and rice for lunch, this is a great alternative and can be enjoyed cold! With a great balance of macronutrients, including protein from the beans, wholegrain rice for complex carbohydrates and fibre, and vegetables for a variety of nutrients, minerals and antioxidants. This recipe is gluten and dairy-free.
|Prep Time||15 mintues|
- 360 grams brown or black rice
- 1/4 small red onion
- 16 cherry tomatoes (1 x 250g punett)
- 180 grams corn kernels (tinned or fresh off the cob)
- 600-800 grams tinned black or kidney beans
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander or basil
- 8 cos lettuce leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1 medium lime juiced
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Cook rice according to packet instructions (in microwave or on stove).
- Chop onion and tomatoes and drain and rinse the beans and corn. If using fresh corn, place cob in large bowl and fill with boiling water and let sit for 2 minutes to cook.
- Remove and chop corn kernels off. Add corn to bean mixture along with herbs.
- Place chopped lettuce leaves at bottom of serving bowl, top with bean mixture and squeeze lime juice on top. This lunch should leave you feeling fresh, light and ready to go!
This recipe was developed for Studio Pilates by Kristin Murray from Lifestyle Nutrition. Kristin is a Brisbane based nutritionist who is passionate about providing education in the science behind nutrition and healthy eating. Through Lifestyle Nutrition, Kristin creates and provides recipes that are achievable in the fast-paced world we live in and she hopes to inspire you to find your own sustainable healthy routine!