Calories Per Serve: 154
Time To Prepare: 15 minutes
- 1 onion or 2 shallots finely diced
- ½ 1 green chilli, chopped or 1 tablespoon of chilli sauce
- ½ 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 x 400g( 1 cup drained / 250g) tin black beans, drained (see notes)
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped or handful cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 bunch coriander and a good grind of black pepper
- Sauté onion in a pan over a medium heat with a little olive oil.
- Add the chilli, cumin and smoked paprika.
- Cook the spices for a minute, stirring them through the onion.
- Add black beans and tomato and toss through.
- Cook until hot and beans start to collapse slightly.
- Add a small splash of water if needed to moisten.
- Season with a little sea salt and black pepper then fold through some chopped coriander.
- Divide between 2 serving bowls.
- Enjoy with your choice of extras such as chopped avocado and a squeeze of lime.
- You can serve along side pan roasted broccoli, cinnamon roasted sweet potato or a simple sun ripened tomato salad.
To Serve (extras)
- Sweet corn
Black beans are available from most health food stores, gourmet grocers or Asian supermarkets. Canned beans are the perfect stand by fast food if you’re time poor. Rinse canned black beans after opening. Other beans can be used in place of black beans. Try back eyed peas, red kidney beans or adzuki beans.
Recipe adapted from Teresa Cutter The Healthy Chef
Nutritional Information Per Serve:
Protein: 12 g