The Studio Pilates Matwork Course is our foundation course and is the entry level course for you to launch your new career as a Pilates instructor. This course combines both an extensive online training centre and a practical course over 4 days. After completing this course, you will be a fully certified matwork instructor who is able to work in Pilates studios, gyms, town halls, parks and more!
In this course, you will learn over 88 beginner to intermediate Pilates matwork exercises. You will also learn about spinal problems, posture, core stability, Pilates for pregnancy, muscle imbalances and muscle recruitment/activation. At the end of the course, you will have the skills to use Pilates with individual clients for both rehab and toning, and also take a Pilates matwork class in a large group setting.
When training with Studio Pilates, you now have two options to become qualified, including –
- Combination learning OR
- Fully online learning
- 40 hours of online study before
- Attending a practical course over 4 days (in person)
Fully Online Learning
- 40 hours of online study before
- Attending a a practical course over 4 or 6 days (fully online via Zoom)
Whether you complete the training fully online or through combination learning, the course is still delivered in the exact same way. There is absolutely no difference in the content that is covered or in the online video resources which you receive as a part of your learning.
If completing the course fully online, there are a few things that you need, including –
- Having a relatively new computer (you are not able to use a phone or tablet as the screen is not large enough)
- Access to a light, quiet and private space for the duration of the course
- Ideally have hard copies of the course manuals
- Meet some minimum internet speed requirements (15 mbps in downloads and 5 mbps in uploads)
We require these minimum internet speed requirements if completing the course fully online because you will move in and out of breakout rooms in Zoom during the course. If your internet isn’t fast enough, your connection may drop out or be blurry, which affects not only your learning, but also affects the learning of other students in the course who are trying to see your body and instruct you through an exercise.
However, these requirements are not needed if choosing the combination learning option.
For more on the difference between combination and fully online learning, click here.
- Comprehensive online training centre (148 videos)
- Course manual (496 pages)
WHY THIS COURSE
- You receive access to Australia’s most comprehensive online training resource which not only contains videos on Pilates principles, postural assessments, health and safety, learning modalities, pregnancy and common injuries, but also workshops every single Pilates exercise which you will cover in your course.
- Enrol with confidence that you are gaining your Pilates certification from the leaders in Pilates instructor training
- Benefit from physiotherapy based learning and courses based on the latest science as it relates to core muscle activation
- Learn the practical skills needed to become a world-class Pilates instructor
- Learn how to instruct or “cue” your clients effectively so that they understand the exercises straight away
- Learn how to program a Pilates class for general fitness as well as for specific injuries
- Learn over 88 basic-intermediate Pilates exercises
- Learn about the history and basic principles of Pilates
- Learn about common spinal injuries and using Pilates for rehabilitation
- Learn about programming for athletes and advanced clients and how to challenge your clients’ core
- Learn about correct muscle activation of the deep core stabilisers
- Assessment and correction of poor movement patterns
- Assessment of posture and core stability
- Become familiar with the Studio Pilates cueing formula/methods of instruction, imagery, demonstration, voice projection and variation
- Learn about pre/post pregnancy workouts and women’s health related issues
- Learn how to take a large group class safely and give different levels
As a prerequisite to enrolling in this course, you –
- Must be enrolled in or have completed the Studio Pilates Anatomy Course or that of equivalent studies in Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Have access to high speed internet (ADSL 2+ or Cable) as well as an up to date web browser to stream online video content
This course has been approved by a number of leading health and fitness bodies. If you are a member of any of the following health or fitness bodies, you are able to claim professional development points upon completion of this course.
- 15 CECs through Fitness Australia (AUS)*
- 3 PDPs through Physical Activity Australia (AUS)
- 15 PDPs through Exercise and Sports Science Australia (AUS)
- 20 CPEs through Massage and Myotherapy Australia (AUS)**
- 20 CECs through REPs (NZ)
- 12.5 CEUs through AFAA (USA)
- 1.9 CEUs through NASM (USA)
- 3.4 CECs through ACE (USA)
- Health Practitioners – earn CPD hours through AHPRA (AUS) to maintain annual registration
* You must be a registered Group Exercise/ Gym Instructor in order to attain Fitness Australia CECs
** If you hold a Certificate IV in Massage and are registered with AAMT, you can claim the full 20 CPE points upon also completing the Studio Pilates Anatomy Course. Members with a Diploma of Massage are not required to complete the Anatomy Course as a prerequisite
As a part of this course, you are assessed in a variety of ways –
- Online multiple choice pre-course exam
- Practical assessment at the course
- Online multiple choice post-course exam
There are a few different price options for the Matwork Course based on how far out from the course you enrol –